Friday, February 20, 2009

The Wind Blows

The door 
slammed,
but went
unnoticed 
at first,

amid the clatter,
the raucous
laughter
inside, 
it came.

Footsteps
that scurried
toward
the door, 
were 
silenced and
rebuffed.

Laughter was
made silent too,
for there
was a newer,
more somber 
mood.

Grim news 
had come,
and stayed 
a while too.

But then…
after a bit,
a hopeful
smile, 
a giggle,
a wink...and a nod,
And 
darkness
lost its grip.

And it
was spring 
once more.

The wind
swung 
that door wide,
Leaving
winter's darkness
outside.

But inside,
the laughter
always
remains.

© gaellynch, 2009

3 comments:

Jame said...

Left the door open
for Elijah but the darn
cat got out instead.

(or something like that, many years simmering in my faulty memory)
---from Haikus for Jews

gael lynch said...

Love it! Got that 5-7-5 jivey thing going, so it's gotta be right! Realized I may be sounding a bit dark here. Could it be the Feb-funk? I'm smiling today...see me?

Smileyblueyes said...

Sometimes the best writing, comes from dark feelings. Don't worry about it. I like your poetry. It is real. I can relate to it.