Friday, February 12, 2010

Blue Skies and Letting Go

Finished. Well, for now at least. I'm learning the practical art of letting go. Eggshells, my baby girl manuscript is in its best possible shape for now. It's a story of four sisters, each one unique in their age and stage, but also in the special hopes and the desires...the dreams that fuel them.

Gypsy is the fourteen year old sister, kind of the soothsayer/poet in the family. She has a knowing sense that danger lingers on the doorstep. Caroline is the wild child. She thrives on drama and takes risks the others wouldn't even dream of. Dee is the straight arrow...she's stuck her finger in the flame and learned from it. But Dee is also the family secret-keeper. She fends off the vicious attacks of the gossipy neighbors. There is plenty to talk about, that's for sure. And Kristen is the beautiful, blonde haired older sister. Married with a baby of her own, she still looks back. Understandably, Peter has had enough. But on one hot summer night at the end of June, Gypsy's sheers kick up alongside her window. Mom will take a fall and Caroline's risky flirtation will have a disastrous consequence. One that will topple them all. Eggshells is the story of four sisters faced with an unimaginable public disaster and how they pick up the pieces and put it all back together again.

This is my baby. My fledgling novel waiting to find its place on the stage of the publishing world. Letting go, for me, is the hardest part of all. I have many projects rumbling around, penciled in on the pages of my journal. But these four girls and their struggles have captured my every waking hour for the past year and a half or so. Today, it's official. I'm moving on, opening a new file, and letting my mind race off in another direction toward that new story that is waiting out there in the wings! I'm sure there'll be a sister or two...because that is, in the end, the stuff that I am made of!

8 comments:

George Stockwell said...

Very nice piece. Just curious: which one of those sisters are you?

gael lynch said...

I think there's a little of me in each one...certainly, both my sisters appear as well. But none of them are a complete match...just a composite of many of the females in all the different ages and stages I've met over the years! Thanks, George! Just hoping it'll make its way out into the world. ;)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sounds perfectly awesome, especially since I'm the oldest of four girls! Thanks for "finding" me. I look forward to reading your blog and tweets. ;-)

Joanne said...

A very exciting place to be, indeed! Best wishes querying your manuscript, hope you get many requests ... Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

gael lynch said...

Debra and Joanne! How great to have found both of you. Love the writing connection...and the sister connection too. Started something new today. What a great feeling!

In Stone said...

can










Can't wait to see this book in print! I'm so proud of you.

Smileyblueyes said...

I can't wait to read this! I am so happy for you, and proud of you.

gael lynch said...

Donna and Diane!
Thanks, you guys. Now we just need a little cooperation from the universe...but I've got to do the legwork too!!