Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Alli-gator Inspires Fear: Paradise Lost



Okay, well...I've been warned. We are living in their ecosystem. But...
all's quiet on the western front, in fact who would imagine anything
was lurking there? 
     Well, today, "Ali" decided to go for a swim in my backyard. But not to worry, I've gotten a lesson in how to run away from an alligator. If it's a girl alligator, she's won't be more than ten feet long. No big deal, right? Wrong!

So...I'm thinking maybe a girl originally from New Jersey, transplanted in Connecticut should be happy with the icky things we have like daddy long legs, wood spiders and itty bitty mice and forget about any plans of relocating to this sunnier locale. It sure is tempting, though, especially after the two million feet of snow I shoveled this past winter. Brother. There is no paradise after all!








4 comments:

Smileyblueyes said...

don't think you can outrun or out jump one of those guys.....Even when they look like their sleeping....don't trust them. We had one in my driveway when I first moved here. The UPS guy said, "Oh, this little guy is only 4 feet long, not big enough to eat a child."...but UPS didn't make the delivery that day....

gael lynch said...

Thanks for the tip! I was told that if I ran like a bullet for ten feet or so, and then changed direction...it would throw the guy off. Brother. I'll bet that's how you totaled your Mercedes...running over an alligator!

George Stockwell said...

They are ferocious looking critters, aren't they? There are two of them living in the pond behind the condo where we stay in Naples. My grand daughters keep wanting to pet them!

gael lynch said...

Just brought my book downstairs...figured I'd read alongside the grill while the chicken cooked. RIGHT next to the grill, I found one of those 'do not feed the alligators' sign. Who in their right mind would?! Needless to say I didn't read. Then a guy comes down and tells me that the whole area down there was swarming with babies just the other night!!!