Friday, April 24, 2009

Magnolia


A Rumphius Challenge

Last Friday in April! Get outdoors! The whole world's a poem!


Peepers 
emerge,
announce
themselves 
one by
one
building
a consensus
of rhythm 
and night songs.

Daffodils appear 
too
along the hillside,
a startling display
of dazzling yellow,

but magnolia
trumps them
all,

lasting only
a day or two,
she bursts
on the scene
a head full
of pale pink.

A swirl of
wind 
could wisp
her away...and
so 
I'll stop
this day,
and look
and savor,
for soon
that burst
will 
be gone.


4 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Lovely! My favorite lines: "she bursts
on the scene
a head full
of pale pink.
A swirl of
wind could wisp
her away"

Thanks for sharing this!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I'm with Andromeda. Great line!

It was great meeting you at the NESCBWI conference!

Jacqueline Dove said...

Another lovely poetry sketch, I particularly enjoyed -
..and
so
I'll stop
this day,
and look
and savor,
So important to remember to pause and look.

gael lynch said...

Thank you all for your kind comments! My gorgeous magnolia is still holding her own today! But I do know that wind is just aching to sweep those petals away!

I'm flyin' high since the NESCBWI conference. Lots of inspiration there. What a treat to meet you, Vivian. I was only sorry we didn't get to talk more. But then, there's always the web!