Monday, March 15, 2010

Making 'Someday' Happen

I was out on one of my daily strolls, walking and talking to the universe on a fine day just a few short years ago. I was asking for a wee bit of a connection to my roots back in the old sod. My mom died when I was just a little girl, and then my dad did the same. Sad story, right? Well...life moved on and so did we, my brother, my two sisters and me. We raised ourselves way back in the 60's, when the world of organized social work was just a dream of the future. But that's a story for another day.

My parents had come from Ireland, and even though they did the best they could to set their American dream in motion, they never lived long enough to see it all the way through.

My father dreamt of building a family and a home, having a garden, educating his children and living to see his grandchildren. I barely knew my mom, but I'm sure her dreams were much the same. My dad had other dreams too. One of them was to make it back home to Ireland one day. As a little girl, I'd ask him if he'd ever bring me there. He'd lean on his rake or the rung of his ladder and get that far away look in his eye. "Someday, Gaelie," he'd say.

Ever since that time so long ago, I've had that dream etched in the corner of my mind. Someday. It was always more than a possibility, I knew that day would come.

And then, a few years ago, my Australian cousin, Eilis, challenged me to meet her in the very cottage where my mother was born. "We'll have a nice dinner together there," she'd said. The thought was wonderful. I entertained it and talked about it, and then finally got real and put it out of my mind.

At the time, we were up to our eyeballs in new debt...kids in college, a new house that needed repairs, and all sorts of things we call life! But then? My birthday came around, and I suddenly realized that I was at the very same point in my own life that my dad was when there were no more 'somedays'. What was I waiting for? And even though it made no sense at all, we booked our trip...our 'roots tour,' and found our way to that little town of Castlebar along the west coast of Ireland.

With more of this to come...what dreams are etched in the corners of your mind? What obstacles stand in your way?

10 comments:

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

My dreams are all about traveling and being published. I've never been to Europe, Hawaii, Australia, and many other places in this amazing world of ours. I'm hoping the next decade will be filled with many adventures and dreams fulfilled. ;-)

gael lynch said...

Let's hope in the months to come your AA gives it up and realizes that your book was perfect right from the start! She'll sell the foreign rights and the movie rights too, and then you'll be off on your whirlwind tour! (Just pack me right in that bag!!)

Lillian Bittman said...

You and I are on the same page, as usual. Beautiful post. Carpe diem, my friend!

Anita said...

You're my hero, Mrs. Lynch! xxo

gael lynch said...

Anita, you are the best! Learned to grab a little bit of life at your table, that's for sure!

And Lillian, like you, I'll always grab onto the day!

One more day and a wee bit of Ireland will visit our shore! Getting ready for the wearing of the green, and honoring my dad and my mom too, in that wee, small way!

Jame said...

I can just see Little Gaelie...

Someday I want to see the old sod for myself, County Clare and the Aran Islands. I want to write a book there, live in a cottage for a year or so with my girlies (and hubby if he can get away from the machine). And, of course, welcome visitors, my Gaelie Girl!

gael lynch said...

Oh boy would I ever plan a visit then, my KIRKUS-STARRED girl! The Aran Islands, now that's a good plan. I think we should all write books set in Ireland, the many shades of green are just good for the soul!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story Gael!
My dreams? To raise my kids to be happy, healthy, well adjusted people I'd like to spend time with. To get to a point where I can split my time between my family home in Africa and my adult home here in the USA. And of course, to find a good many people who love the way I tell a tale and are willing to spend a little of their hard earned money to buy the books I'll someday get published. :)

gael lynch said...

Merissa, Sounds like we're both working hard to get there, that's for sure! Our day will come. We just have to work hard and stick together. Thanks for stopping by!

gael lynch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.